June 5, 2013

My Soul Collects..







I've always been a collector. A collector of all things, namely jewelry. My love of jewels was passed down from generation to generation. When I was a kid we used to hang out in New York City with my Grandma. I thought my Grandma was the coolest, classiest old lady around. She had Thick grey hair, with perfect curls and she always wore extravagant materials, silk shirts, with pearl buttons. Every time we visited her, she would pull me aside and slip me the most precious little presents, out of circulation coins, old photographs, but my favorite was always the jewelry. She gave me giant Ruby earrings, which I wore around in my ears casually as a little 6 year old. She passed down her collection of cameos and even some diamond encrusted earrings. There's something so special about their oldness, their ever so slight tarnishing, just enough to know they were well loved. I suppose this is where my love for jewelry was born, although the gems of my Grandmother's day are quite different than now. My mom became a jewelry maker, she worked with glass and a kiln, firing up the most gorgeous and vibrantly colored pendants you've ever seen. Now, here I am with the most beautiful collection, filled with my own handmade designs and the designs of artist's who inspire me most, Pearl. Love. , Spell, my mother of course, and a few good vintage finds.

What do you collect?
Hope you're having a beautiful week!
Love,
MacK Mars


Follow SoulMakes on Bloglovin

5 comments:

  1. Your collection is lovely. I love the fact when collecting items they all have a special meaning. My best friends parents brought me back a necklace from Hawaii after watching their dog, and now after seeing your collection, Im really inspired to try to put together one of my own :)
    http://photosbylmb.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful jewelry. I also have a jewelry collection, but only a few pieces have such deep meaning.

    Melissa
    http://wildflwrchild.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful collection! I have started to collect jewelry as well, I have sooo many necklaces, haha.
    I also collect stones and crystals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, you have a gorgeous collection & I love how you have displayed it all!
    Grandmothers always have beautiful jewelry. I have always been a collector of crosses, my Italian grandmother passed down to me her rosaries and crucifixes (some from the late 1800's). My other grandmother, who was half Cherokee, had the most beautiful turquoise. That is where my love of turquoise began as a little girl. I'm lucky to have inherited some of her turquoise, and continue to add to my vintage turquoise jewelry collection. Plus, you already know that I love collecting crystals and stones ;)

    Have a beautiful day lovely!
    ~ Athena xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great post! i´ve posted about my jewelry long time ago, must make an update! and yes it is true,our grandmas jewelry is always soo special! love your jewelry!

    Kiss Kiss Mercedes

    mercedes-artenciel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete