January 23, 2013

My Art History

During our Spring Clean over the weekend I ran across some old photos, so I thought I'd show you guys where it all started. This is My Art History..

Art

This is the gazebo in the backyard of the house I grew up in. Once upon a time my mom turned it into her studio. I used to spend the summers out here with her fusing glass. This little place was filled with all kinds of beautiful beads, and silk strings and giant sheets of glass in all colors and textures. We'd cut the glass to make little pendants and then fire them in the kiln. 


This is us; my mom and brother and I'm the baby ( Dad is taking the picture :)
Family Portrait

My mother, she was really something else. Bright red hair, big brown eyes, 17 earrings in each ear and a big, big spirit. She always reminds me of pure sunshine, such light she carries with her. When I was a kid she painted our entire house by hand. Here's some pics of my childhood home in various phases of art:

This was before the walls were painted(when we first moved into this house). My mom loved decorating, she threw colorful tapestries and throw rugs everywhere..
Living Room


Then she sponged all the walls with bright colors..

Eclectic Home


and littered them with wall hangings



The whole place was covered with flowers and knick knacks

tRINKETS


She painted these blue mountains on the walls in her room
(Yep, that's me)

The kitchen was my favorite. 

Sun Painting

This is "The Sun" It was actually originally painted at the first house we lived in, on the hallway wall. When we moved we had to white wash the walls. I don't think I'll ever forget the day we said goodbye to our first sun. I'm pretty sure we all cried as we watched the house painters roll that ivory coat over this work of art. When we moved into our second house, my mom taped a little photograph of the sun onto the kitchen wall for reference and got to work. The walls were always in progress. 


My mom was always finding some little place to add color. I learned everything I know from her. She had me drawing and painting the second I could pick up a pencil. She was always showing us new ways to be creative. Everything was a canvas. I think that's the best thing she ever taught me. My vision has been dramatically impacted by her artistic soul. I got to paint my bedroom when I was a kid, drawing on the walls was encouraged and as an adult I get to see the world through these inspired eyes. I'm so grateful for my mom, my sunshine. I hope one day I can give my future kids the same art experience.

I'd love to hear any of your fun art experiences or warm fuzzy memories :)

Hope you all have a beautiful day!

Love,
MacK Mars


  

2 comments:

  1. OMG! I love love love these looks! It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AW, this is fantastic stuff! I love these walls! I forget, sometimes...I can always choose a color pallette for the rooms of my home, someday...but why not a murals I love the warmth her yellow and orange painting gave that room. Your mother sounds very, very legendary. <3 I enjoyed reading this quite a lot. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete