July 1, 2013

Ooh Ahh Point











Our cross country road trip has been the most amazing experience of my life! We went from Austin to New Mexico where we found ourselves mesmerized by all the pueblo style structures. Santa Fe is a sunny little town, filled with amazing textiles, native weaving, turquoise jewelry, bright ceramics and delicious southwest cooking. We loved every corner of it, especially our camp site (which had a pool and wi-fi!)

From there we headed into Arizona, the landscape turned to warm red rocks, aloe plants and sun bleached cacti. We spent our first evening watching the sunset over the Grand Canyon. It was truly a wonderful celestial event to witness. When the night turned, the sky filled up with more stars than I've ever imagined. A warm breeze blew up from the canyon after having soaked in the sun all day. Many times through out our adventure I've found myself so taken by the view that I'd have to pause and catch my breath, to slowly inhale in the scenery and absorb the wonder that is God's artwork.

On our second day in Arizona we hiked only a small distance down into the canyon, about a mile. But even at that distance the walk is so steep that you can hardly see the rim from where you came. Being in the canyon is a completely different experience. There are so many beautiful layers of rock, a woven master piece of sedimentary colors. The plant life is fascinating; desert roses, cactus bushes, and certain inexpressible greenery that I can only describe as resembling the likes of a Dr. Seuss illustration. When we reached a spot called "Ooh Aah Point" we paused and sat down on a rock over looking the gorges and valleys. 


The next moment was so perfect that no narration will ever do it justice, so I'll keep it simple, Trevor proposed to me. He handed me a gorgeous ring he had custom made with an emerald cut diamond and two turquoise cabochons. I said yes, of course. It was such a magical moment I think we would have been content to sit right there on that rock for the rest of our lives. I'm more in love and more inspired than I've ever been and I hope you all will join me in sharing this feeling!

Love,
MacK Mars

Follow SoulMakes on Bloglovin

9 comments:

  1. Such beautiful photos!
    And congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so flippin happy for you. ahhhh! this is the best time in life. those days for me were so so fun and magical. enjoy it. so happy for your trip too. i hope to take a very similar trip one day soon. ive been aching to head to that part of the states for a while now and everytime i see photos of someone visiting its just grows and grows. i havent been to the grand canyon since i was about 6. way too long. so happy for you and trev!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ** So happy for you MacK & Trevor!! Congratulations!! **

    I know this road trip journey will be an everlasting, sweet memory for you both.

    Love & Blessings xxx

    ~ Athena

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all of this!!! Makes my heart happy!

    xoxo kerri
    kerrinchance.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gah! I'm so envious of this trip. And congratulations!!!!!

    Melissa
    http://wildflwrchild.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, congrats! That is amazing, and what a lovely trip! I am so happy for you! And the ring is gorgeous, he did so well.

    Christen
    http://christenlouise.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yaaaaaah ! Congratulations !!!! The ring is beautiful ! This trip will be a sweet memory !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you loved Santa Fe - my home means much to me.

    Congratulations to you both. The ring!! Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats! What an AMAZING memory to hold with your engagement for the rest of your life!! Beautiful!

    Jennifer
    Rossio Roos

    ReplyDelete