April 15, 2013

Weekend Highlights

This is my City.
Surprisingly enough, I can't even begin to tell you how much I love the nation's capitol. You know how it is with your hometown, you grow up with a deep longing to escape and you only begin to appreciate it's beauty once you're old enough to leave. I do want to move away someday, out west or maybe Texas, but I think I'll always end up back in DC. 

 DC

DC
Spot the Capitol to the right of the one way sign

Thomas Jefferson Memorial

DC

DC

Nations Capitol

Water

Pond
Washington Monument

DC
Thomas Jefferson Memorial

Cherry Blossoms

DC
When we were kids my dad made an almost weekly habit of taking us to all the museums in the city. Admittedly, I could not understand why anyone in their right mind would want to travel to our city to stand in a bunch of boring museums and look at really old stuff. Although, I much enjoyed jumping on the steam grates on cold Sunday mornings as we strolled from whatever far away parking spot we had found and in summer time I loved the streets lined with vendors, peddling snow cones and "I love DC" shirts. My favorite exhibit of all was the insect zoo at the Natural History museum. We got to hold all kinds of exotic bugs and watch a tarantula have lunch. I was kind of an odd little girl.. As I got older I discovered the art museums, the pop culture Smithsonian - complete with fashion and music exhibits, the botanical garden - which simultaneously houses a rain forest and a desert and of course, there's the tidal basin - which fills up with pink cherry blossoms every spring. It made for a perfect date with Trevy, we had a blast exploring DC over the weekend. All this, and I've said nothing of the amazing shopping, especially for vintage lovers, the broad mix of cuisine and dining choices , from hot dogs to Ethiopian or a good ol' slice of pizza. We've really grown to appreciate this city, so rich with the history of our nation and so full of life.

Hope you all had a great weekend too!
Love,
MacK Mars


Follow SoulMakes on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment