April 2, 2013

Light and Dark


Each year at this time Mother Earth humbles me with her graceful transformation from dark to light. It seems my soul is nourished by the extended hours of sunshine and the fresh, bright colors. It's easy to see how we connect lightness with the idea of being happy but, I think we tend to associate darkness in general with sadness or even evil. It's often used to describe what is wrong in our world. However, darkness is merely a simple lack of light and it's those very shadows that artists and photographers alike love to play with. It's in those shadows that so many of us find true inspiration, so that we may live in the light again. A friend of mine asked me to make this custom Dreamcatcher for her, all black. It was instant love when I finished this beauty, the overflowing feathers and leather lace are rich with a certain extravagant lightlessness. It got me thinking about the differences between light and dark and what they represent..


I was so inspired by the dark dreamcatcher that I decided to make on of my own, all white. I tend to drift towards anything white, ivory or cream colored. I recently learned that white is the color of purity and clarity. It embodies the presence of every color in the light spectrum, representing wholeness and completeness. Black is the color of the unknown, even secrecy, but it also has the ability to absorb negative energy and protect you from harm. Both colors are so beautiful, each with such a profound presence!


Look out for new Dreamcatchers coming to the shop soon!

Which end of the spectrum do you lean towards?

Love,
MacK Mars

Follow SoulMakes on Bloglovin

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful!
    I usually lean towards the dark but I am learning to love and embrace white as well.

    ReplyDelete