February 13, 2013

My Art History

 More like my fashion history...

If you've been reading this series then you know that my mom has had a great impact on my creative vision and how I see the world, but also, she's one of my fashion icons!

Long hair, Don't care. 
60's
That's my mom, in nineteen sixty something, probably in the midst of some legendary road trip. The 60's and 70's are easily my favorite time in fashion, so naturally I love looking at pictures of my mom  from back in the day. I can't get enough of the bell bottoms, high wasted denim, flowy skirts, cowboy boots and long hair. My personal style is definitely influenced by these decades, some days I look a little bit like I just stepped out of a time warp. 

Hippie Style


The coolest part about my mom's fashion is that she made or "reclaimed" a lot of her wardrobe. 
Maxi Skirt
She made this amazing skirt out of a pair of (super) high wasted bell botoms. She cut the legs open, sewed in some black velvet and hand embroidered a few lovely flowers onto it. Ever since I was a little girl, I coveted this skirt. She took such delicate care of this piece, I would beg her to take it out of its reserved space in the closet and let me play dress-up! She finally passed it down to me a few years ago, one of the best gifts I've ever received :)

A few other hand-me-downs

Time Warp

The shell bracelet is one of my most beloved jewelry pieces and my mom made that belt from scratch. It is my favorite belt ever, so perfectly worn in. Her leather work is part of what inspired me to start using leather in my own designs, like our latest breast plate from the Spring Collection. Aside from awarding me with a love for all things artistic, she also passed down a deep adoration for classics like Fleetwood Mac (perhaps I'll tell the story behind my signed record someday), Jimi Hendrix, and Janis Joplin. All of whom are not only great musicians, but also some of my favorite fashion icons. I wish I could've been around to see them all in action.

What is your favorite decade in fashion?

Hope you are all having a beautiful week!

<3,
MacK Mars

  

1 comment: